ART, LITERATURE & TOURISM DEPARMENT
Art, Literature & Tourism Department is a responsible for development Art, Literature and Tourism for the Ministry.
Establish e-learning & public library infrastructure and services; Engage in cultural heritage
preservation and development and establish state museum; lobby for international partners,
INGOs and national NGOs to engage in respective cultural heritage programs; reach out to FGS
authorities dealing with national cultural heritage and wildlife; protect archeological sites related
to tradition, culture and literature; conduct scientific research, to enhance the Ministries archive
information; collect all income received from cultural activity for the Government of the
Galmudug State of Somalia; organize awareness programs related with the expansion and
protection of the dignity and pride of Somali culture and tradition; hold in an archive, all data and
reports of history of the pre-historical sites; survey old historical sites and long-term history areas;
establish a system of international relations and cooperation with specialized Universities studying
preservation of archeological data and sites.
Facilitate the development of information and audiovisual contents on traditional music and film;
manage all national theatres within GSS; prepare reports outlining production ideas in culture and
techniques for sculpture and films; organize and hold exhibitions highlighting Somali culture to the
national and international communities; coordinate concert activities for Somali musicians; hold
literature exhibitions displaying significant Somali personalities in this area.;
Establish long-term strategies and policies for development of tourism; promote tourism within
safe zones; identify touristic sites and create state zoo as community project; capacity building and
training in the area of the tourism and touristic marketing.
Before the central government of Somalia collapsed in 1990s, Somalia had a sizable Tourism Industry. A good number of wide-ranging Tourism Locations had been developed ranging from inland location, beaches and wildlife. That Tourism industry is no longer the same as they had been affected by the civil war that raged in Somalia for the last nearly 30 years.
However, at the moment there are plenty of tourism opportunities in the country’s economic growth spheres to ensure the creation of a quality tourism environment it is necessary to set up tourism policy in the country. The formerly known Tourism locations can be easily revived and the tourism department has already begun work with the help of the Federal Government of Somalia in particular the Ministry of Information, Culture and Tourism.
- Establishing leading and maintainable inland and coastal Tourism destinations.
- Propel the tourism sector as a key engine of economic growth.
- Enhance the visibility of Somalia as a top class tourist destination in traditional, emerging and new markets.
- Broaden the tourism product portfolio to include cultural tourism, business tourism and generous events.
- Promote Somalia as a clean and safe tourist destination.
Aims and Objectives
- Assist in tourism planning through the development of tourism policies and preparation of long-term plan.
- Extend support for the development and upgrading of tourism structures and infrastructure.
- Work in close collaboration with all stakeholders including international and regional states, organizations for the development and promotion of sustainable tourism.
- Appraise and monitor tourism projects.
- Elaborate and implement standards, norms and guidelines for tourism activities.
- Formulate legislation to regulate the tourism sector.
- Create awareness on the importance of sustainable tourism development and support enterprises in their drive to be environmentally compliant.
- Prepare and provide statistical data and information on tourism matters.
- Make leisure and recreational activities accessible and affordable to the population at large.
Our Core and Values
- Integrity… We are guided by the highest standards of professional ethics.
- Quality… We are result-oriented and committed to providing services of the highest quality to our clients.
- Transparency… We operate in a consultative and transparent manner.
- Timeliness… We are responsive and make every effort to meet set targets.
- Teamwork… We foster teamwork and value mutual trust and respect.
- Honesty… We always act in good faith and are trustful.
- Justice… We adhere to the principle of natural justice.
- Objectivity… We favor standard and base our decisions on rigorous analysis of evidence.
- Design format and content of the mapping survey/needs assessment Plan for existing markets as well as new potentially identified markets of other neighboring countries,
- Identify key Tourism destinations in each of the federal member states of Somalia,
- Map connectivity and feasibility through regular Airline & License Options,
- Develop a Marketing Strategy For Trade, Media and Consumer,
- Develop a PR Strategy For Trade, Media, and Consumer,
- Involve Somalia Missions and Embassies and regional offices,
- Appoint Market Development Representatives for identified key source markets with well-presented Service Level Agreements.
- Customized Advertising strategy/campaign,
- Enhance and organize a communicating Website (Language and customer preference oriented),
- Develop a Crisis Management Strategy,
- Continuously measure effectiveness of campaign, rework & revisit Strategy for the market what may work today may not work tomorrow,
- Conduct for Radio and TV programs to increase and bring attention to the positive impact of tourism destination’s in Somalia.